North Korea was behind a massive cyberattack that affected more
than 150 countries earlier this year, President Donald
Trump’s homeland security adviser revealed in a Wall
Street Journal piece Monday.
The invasive “WannaCry” attack affected more than 230,000
computers across the globe for several days in
May, shutting down universities, warehouses and banks. It
also managed to put hospital systems in the U.K. on lockdown.
“After careful investigation, the U.S. today publicly
attributes the massive ‘WannaCry’ cyberattack to North
Korea,” Tom Bossert wrote in the WSJ. The rogue state will
be held accountable, he said.
“North Korea has acted especially badly, largely unchecked, for
more than a decade, and its malicious behavior is growing more
egregious. WannaCry was indiscriminately reckless,” he wrote.
A screenshot shows a WannaCry ransomeware demand, provided by
cybersecurity firm Symantec in Mountain View, California, on
May 15, 2017. (Handout/Reuters)
Bossert urged governments and businesses to cooperate to
mitigate cyber risk and increase the cost to hackers. But,
he said, the U.S. is willing to act alone “to impose costs
and consequences for cyber malfeasance.”
He also called on the private sector to increase its
accountability by “taking actions that deny North Korea and
other bad actors the ability to launch reckless and destructive
In June, the National Security Agency linked North Korea to
the WannaCry worm, the Washington Post reported.
The worm took the form of a ransomware attack, seizing and
encrypting computers and demanding payment to release
The attack was
“unprecedented” in scale, European policing agency
Europol said at the time.
In October, the British government also publicly declared it
believed North Korea was the culprit.
- This article originally appeared on